Impressionist Zion

Impressionist Zion National Park Utah

The autumn colors that adorned Zion National Park’s rosy canyon walls looked to me like they were drawn from a great impressionist painting. In honor of that thought, I figured I’d try something new and show Zion as it might have been portrayed by Monet (or, more likely, one of Monet’s significantly less talented students). Original photos here, here and here

Impressionist Zion National Park Bridge FallImpressionist Zion National Park Girl on trail

Tags: , , , , ,

22 Comments on “Impressionist Zion”

1. Animalcouriers December 19, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Very clever and effective!

2. arjun bagga December 19, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Hey Brian, these are stunning artworks. Brilliant! love them all

3. Honie Briggs December 19, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Impressionism is my favorite style of painting. A few years ago I was at the Ft. Worth botanical gardens and a lovely display of faded flowers caught my eye. They looked to me like a Monet painting. Of course it could have been the fact that I wasn’t wearing my glasses, but the muted colors and blurred edges mingled together beautifully. I’d love to visit Monet’s home and garden. Nice post.

4. gindasimpson December 19, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I am a painter and all I can say is well done! You have managed to capture the spirit of impressionist painting. Thanks for a lovely post.

5. John December 19, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Beautifully done!!

6. out on the town December 19, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Beautiful! Do you have other paintings online?

7. Jane Fritz December 19, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Fabulous. Just fabulous.

8. sued51 December 19, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Beautiful job! When some friends came back from a visit to Zion I thought their photos some of the most beautiful I had ever seen…I hope to get there some day.

9. Pat Bean December 19, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Absolutely love how you’ve portrayed my very special place.

10. Mazigrace December 19, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Beautiful. Zion is on my list next summer when we drive to Alaska. Thanks for sharing.

11. LuAnn December 19, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Beautifully done. We love Utah. Happy holidays to the two of you.

12. cravesadventure December 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Creative & Beautiful – thanks for sharing! Have a Great One:)

13. Carolyn Lane December 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Wonderful – and how times change. Back then, my first assumption would have been that you’d got your watercolours out and worked from the photo. Now, my first assumption was that you’ve done something very clever in photoediting software. On second squint, I’m admiring, and confused, and delighted all at once.

• Brian December 22, 2012 at 11:22 am #

True. “Back in the day” completely recreating the image on canvas would have been the only way to do something like this.

14. andytallman101 December 19, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Nice! Are these actual paintings, or a computer/camera effect applied to the photos?

• Brian December 22, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Thanks. They’re photos.

15. earthriderjudyberman December 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

I think Monet would love them. They did capture the views.

16. f-stop mama December 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Very creative! Love both versions of each capture.

17. Suellen Staub December 24, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Utah is the only state in the West that I haven’t been in, but now I think we need to pack the RV and go there. How breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

18. hermitsdoor January 2, 2013 at 6:20 am #

My wife says that if she takes her glasses off the world is an impressionist painting.
    Oscar

• Brian January 2, 2013 at 9:32 am #

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Grand Canyon Civil War: North vs. South | Everywhere Once - January 7, 2013

[...] isn’t always less convenient. If you’re traveling through southern Utah, perhaps after visiting Zion National Park, then the North Rim is probably the easiest way to see the Canyon. Otherwise, we’d opt for the [...]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,885 other followers